Tabloids or the use of tabloid journalism is linked with the use of sensationalized news stories and reporting. Tabloid journalism was conceptualized by Alfred Harmsworth. Topics covered by tabloid-sized magazines include personal information of sports icon and celebrities in the United States and other sleazy or interesting subjects. Tabloid-sized magazines also cover issues related to astrology and crime stories.
History of Tabloids
Alfred Harmsworth is the brain behind the conceptualization of tabloid journalism. He decided to collect stolid papers and come up with a transformation plan. The content of the papers were altered to provide what the readers wanted to see. He made use of these forms of magazines as powerful tools to affect and influence public opinion.
Daily News is recognized as the oldest tabloid-sized newspaper in the United States since its introduction in 1919. National versions of tabloids are referred to as supermarket tabloids particularly in Canada and in the U.S. Some of the supermarket tabloids prominent in the country include Globe, The National Enquirer, Star and Weekly World News. Unfortunately, Weekly World News is now out of circulation. These tabloids utilize aggressive strategy so their issues would be sold out. They communicate with magazine distribution channel once their issues are ready for distribution.
In most cases, celebrities who are featured in various tabloid-sized magazines sue the tabloid for defamation charges. They argue that the allegations by the magazines’ featured stories of their misconduct and drug use have insulted them. For this reason, entertainment news shows were created which was eventually referred to as tabloid television. Based on a survey in Britain, trustworthiness of journalists working for tabloid newspapers like The Sun and Daily Star is more questionable as compared to the trustworthiness of real estate agents and public officials.
Red Top pertains to the red name plated-tabloid newspapers. These include the Daily Star, the Daily Sport, the Sun and the Daily Record. In Great Britain, tabloid magazines use simple languages and writing style so readers could easily understand the message. Tabloid magazines also apply political positions such as right-wing or left-wing when it comes to their stories involving politicians. Sometimes, their news contains election forecasts as well as demands for politicians to step off from office. Red Top newspapers are characterized by simple journalistic style and the liberal use of pictures. Get the latest news and gossip on the Hollywood celebrities with videos and photos
Celebrity Gossip Websites
- Eonline –
- Gawker -Today’s gossip is tomorrow’s news.
- GossipCenter – Celebrity gossip site with the latest entertainment news, hollywood gossip, gossip girls, and videos of your favorite stars and celebrities.
- People – Get your fix of the hottest breaking news, celebrity photos, fashion, videos and games from People Magazine
- PerezHilton – Hollywood’s most sassy website has been delivering the juiciest celebrity gossip.
- PopSugar – features breaking news, hot photos, amazing videos and event recaps on the day’s most popular stars.
- RadarOnline – The latest celebrity and entertainment news and gossip.
- starpulse – Your entertainment destination.
- theSuperficial – Celebrity Gossip and Celebrity Photos on The Superficial. Outrgeous commentary on celebrities, what they wear, and what they say and do.
- theHollywoodGossip – Celebrity gossip blog with the latest entertainment news, scandals, fashion, hairstyles, pictures, and videos of your favorite celebrities.
- TMZ – Celebrity gossip and entertainment news, covering celebrity news and Hollywood rumors. Get all the latest gossip at TMZ.
- USMagazine – Celebrity News and Celebrity Gossip from Us Weekly. See today’s top entertainment news, fashion tips, and celeb pictures.
- WonderWall – Your celebrity destination for the latest celebrity gossip, news, videos, photos and more. Wonderwall is your interactive guide to all that is celebrity.
- Weekly World News – The World’s only reliable news.
- Yahoo! omg! – The latest celebrity gossip from Yahoo! omg! Get the latest news and gossip on the Hollywood celebrities with videos and photos.