A newspaper is a scheduled publication containing news of current events, informative articles, diverse features, editorial, and classifieds or advertising. It usually is printed on relatively inexpensive, low-grade paper such as newsprint. By 2007, there were 6,580 daily newspapers in the world selling 395 million copies a day. The worldwide recession of 2008, combined with the rapid growth of web-based alternatives, caused a serious decline in advertising and circulation, as many papers closed or sharply retrenched operations.
General-interest newspapers typically publish stories on local and national political events and personalities, crime, business, entertainment, science-tech, society and sports. Most traditional papers also feature an editorial page containing editorials written by an editor and columns that express the personal opinions of writers. Opinions of other writers and readers are expressed in the op-Ed (“opposite the editorial page”) which was generally located on page six and letters to the editors sections of the paper.
A newspaper can be someone’s life companion. A wide variety of material has been published in newspapers, including editorial opinions, criticism, persuasion and op-Eds; obituaries; entertainment features such as crosswords, Sudoku and horoscopes; weather news, technology and forecasts; advice, food, money news and other columns; sports Commentary; reviews of radio, movies, television, plays and restaurants; classified ads; display ads, metro sports, radio and television listings, inserts from local merchants, editorial cartoons, gag cartoons and comic strips. It also contains some polls as well as kitchen goods news and views of the experts.
There is also a small group of newspapers which may be characterized as international newspapers. Some, such as The International Herald Tribune, have always had that focus, while others are repackaged national newspapers or “international editions” of national or large metro city newspapers. In some cases articles that might not interest the wider range of readers are omitted from international editions; in others, of interest to expatriates, significant national news is retained.
Virtually all printed newspapers have online editions, which depending on the country may be regulated by journalism organizations such as the Press Complaints Commission in the UK. But as some publishers find their print-based models increasingly unsustainable, Web-based “newspapers” have also started to appear, such as the Southport Reporter in the UK and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, which stopped publishing in print after 149 years in March 2009 and went online only. Today some online news websites like Google news and New York Now has the largest number of viewers in the online news feed.
The home page of every online newspaper must me interesting and meaningful and above all that it contains the latest updates on news. Some home pages like USA Today Home page, NYDN Home page, NY Post Home Page, LA Times Home Page, NYT Home page, Trib Home page, Wash. Post Home page, WND Home Page and Sun-Times Home page are some example of online newspaper home pages that are truly top of the list because these all news pages gives complete experience of nationline news as well as world news
Newspapers have, in the modern world, played an important role in the exercise of freedom of expression. Whistle-blowers and those who “leak” stories of corruption in political circles often choose to inform newspapers before other mediums of communication, relying on the perceived willingness of newspaper editors to expose the secrets and lies of those who would rather cover them.
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution – Breaking news, sports, entertainment, classifieds, living, and business coverage.
- Arizona Republic – Daily national and world news, sports, living, opinion, and business coverage for Phoenix, Arizona.
- American Reporter – Six-day-per week electronic newspaper owned by the writers whose work it features.
- Baltimore Sun -Provides local news, sports, business, and classifieds. The Baltimore Sun online provides RSS feeds, archive search, and email newsletters.
- Boston Globe – Official site of The Boston Globe providing local, national, and international news, as well as coverage of sports, business, and entertainment.
- Boston Herald – Find local, national, and international news from the Boston Herald, as well as coverage of sports, entertainment, and business.
- Cleveland Plain Dealer – Local news publication for the Cleveland area. Covers news, sports, business, and entertainment.
- Chicago Tribune – Source for classifieds and local, state, and national news based out of the Chicago metropolitan area.
- Christian Science Monitor – Daily international and U.S. news and feature articles.
- Columbus Dispatch – Features news, classifieds, and more.
- Chicago Sun-Times Online edition of the Chicago Sun-Times brings you daily news, sports, classifieds, business, and – entertainment coverage. Find out what’s happening in Chicago and all over Illinois.
- DailyChew – Offers headline links to breaking news, politics, business, finance, and sports.
- Dallas Morning News – Features daily local news, classifieds, business, and sports coverage for the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
- Detroit News – Breaking local news for the Detroit area, along with international news, sports, entertainment, lifestyle, and tech coverage.
- Daily Mail – All the latest news, sport, showbiz, science and health stories from around the world from the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday newspapers.
- Denver Post – Denver Post covers local, national, and world news as well as sports, features, and opinion.
- Detroit Free Press – Provides breaking news, sports, entertainment, opinion, and business coverage.
- East Bay Express – East Bay Express newspaper provides news, info on arts and culture, movies, restaurants, music, blogs, and classifieds for the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Editorial – Editorials, op-eds and columns from David Brooks, Maureen Dowd, Thomas L. Friedman, Charles Blow, Ross Douthat, Nicholas D. Kristof, Paul Krugman, Gail Collins, Frank Bruni and Joe Nocera.
- Epoch Times, The – Daily print and online news source for world news, business, health, politics, and more.
- Financial Times – Provides analysis of financial markets, industries, and companies.
- Global Post – Broad world coverage including geographic areas that have been historically under-reported by the American news media.
- Google News – Comprehensive up-to-date news coverage, aggregated from sources all over the world by Google News.
- Hartford Courant – News, business, sports, entertainment, opinion, and classifieds.
- Houston Chronicle – Features daily news, sports, entertainment, weather, and classified ads for Houston area, Texas. In English and Spanish.
- International Herald Tribune – International newspaper for opinion leaders and decision makers around the world.
- International1st Headlines – Latest news, business, sport, comment, lifestyle and culture from the Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph newspapers and video from Telegraph TV.
- Investors Business Daily – Reports on business news and its potential impact on investors.
- Kansas City Star Breaking local news, sports, entertainment, and business coverage.
- Louisville Courier-Journal – Louisville, Kentucky’s newspaper.
- Los Angeles Times – Online edition of the Los Angeles Times, offering daily local, state, national, and world news, as well as sports, entertainment, business, and travel coverage. Also includes L.A. jobs, real estate, cars, and shopping.
- Los Angeles Daily News – Local and national news, sports, business news, marketplace, and more.
- Life – The latest news in entertainment, pop culture, celebrity gossip, movies, music, books and tv reviews.
- Local – Cincinnati, OH, News, local news, headlines, stories, world news.
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – Covering news, sports, business, entertainment, and community.
- Metro – Latest Metro news.
- Metro Sports
- Minneapolis Star Tribune – Daily news source for Minneapolis, St.Paul, and around Minnesota.
- Miami Herald – Daily breaking news, local coverage for the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area, sports news, entertainment guide, opinion, and more.
- New Orleans Times Picayune – New Orleans’ daily newspaper, the Times-Picayune. Offers regional news, forums, photos, sports, entertainment, and classifieds.
- Newark Star-Ledger – Newark, New Jersey, online newspaper, featuring local, sports, entertainment, living, and classifieds.
- Nationline – Our in-depth coverage of US and national news keeps you up to date on the latest events as they happen.
- Newsday – Newspaper for the New York City metro area, including business, sports, travel, and entertainment news. Newsday provides local New York classifieds and real estate listings.
- Norfolk Virginian-Pilot
- News Point – Featuring worldwide news, including health, sports, entertainment, business, and more.
- New York Post – Local news, opinion, gossip, sports, and more.
- New York Daily News – Offers local, sports, business, and entertainment news and opinion.
- NYT Home Page -Find breaking news, multimedia, reviews; opinion on Washington, business, sports, movies, travel, books, jobs, education, real estate, cars & more.
- Orlando Sentinel – Online edition of Orlando, Florida’s newspaper.
- Orange County Register – Local news, sports, business, and more for Orange County, CA.
- OhmyNews International – Citizen journalism international blog with news and articles about science and technology, arts, entertainment, and sports written by regular people.
- Oregonian – News, sports, entertainment, lifestyle, and business coverage for Portland and surrounding areas.
- Oklahoman, The – Official site for The Oklahoman, a daily newspaper serving Oklahoma City.
- Omaha World-Herald – Online edition.
- Page Six
- Philippine Star – Online edition of the Philippine Star, a daily English language newspaper based in Manila. Features business, entertainment, sports and other news.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – Latest news in Pittsburgh.
- Philadelphia Inquirer – Features local and regional news, sports, business, entertainment, and more.
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review – Local and world news.
- Rocky Mountain News – Site for the former Denver daily that went defunct in 2009.
- Richmond Times-Dispatch – News, weather, sports, opinion, classifieds, and more. Serving Richmond, Virginia and surrounding areas.
- San Francisco Chronicle– Bay Area, California, national, and international news, classifieds, guide to the San Francisco Bay Area’s entertainment and attractions, and more.
- Sacramento Bee – Online coverage of local and California news, business, politics, sports, entertainment, and more.
- Seattle Times – Daily newspaper presenting local and worldwide news headlines, entertainment, sports, and business coverage.
- Sun-Times Home Page
- St. Petersburg Times – Daily coverage from Florida’s west coast.
- San Diego Union-Tribune – Daily news, sports, shopping, classifieds, and entertainment coverage for the San Diego area.
- Sacramento Union – Home to the online newspaper and print magazine that offers an alternative viewpoint for the Sacramento region.
- Sun-Sentinel – South Florida’s newspaper.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch – Includes news, sports, business, jobs, entertainment, real estate, neighborhoods, and more.
- San Antonio Express-News – Features news, sports, classifieds, real estate, auto sales, entertainment, weather, and more.
- St. Paul Pioneer Press – Local newspaper serving Saint Paul, Minnesota and surrounding areas.
- San Jose Mercury News – Daily newspaper serving Silicon Valley and the greater San Francisco Bay Area, with local, national, world, business, and technology news.
- Southern Ledger, The – The source for news and culture in the Southeast United States. Featuring U.S. news and world news, with breaking news, headline news, business, entertainment, sports, economy, and commentary.www.southernledger.com
- The New York Times – Official site of The New York Times provides national and world news as well as the latest on sports, technology, health, and science. Some registration required.
- Tampa Tribune – Covering news, sports, business, entertainment, and events throughout Tampa Bay and West Central Florida.
- Tech – The latest news about technology. Brought to you by Michigan’s largest newspaper, the Detroit Free Press.
- Trib Home Page – Your source for Chicago breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic.
- Tribune-Star Online, The – Online edition of the Tribune-Star the community newspaper with daily news, features, sports, and classifieds serving Terre Haute, Indiana.
- Washington Times – The Daily newspaper for Washington D.C., featuring current coverage of news, politics, opinion, sports, and culture.
- World Association of Newspapers, The – The global organization for the newspaper industry, represents 18,000 newspapers.www.wan-press.org
- Wash. Post Home Page – News, sports, opinion, and more for the nation, world, and Washington area.
- Wall Street Journal – Wall Street Journal features online coverage of breaking news and current headlines from the U.S. and around the world. Top stories, photos, videos, detailed analysis and in-depth reporting.
- WND Home Page – A Free Press For A Free People Since 1997