The yellow pages are the main tool for consumers in order to find the contact numbers of businesses in an area. The businesses and other organizations that are listed on these pages are not arranged in alphabetical order; rather the entries are arranged by categories. For example, all food businesses will be listed together and all schools and academic institutions will be listed all together. Right now, yellow pages will not just refer to the actual ‘books’ but all these can refer to online directories as well.
History of the Yellow Pages
The yellow pages like 800 Directory are known for the use of the ‘walking fingers’. This design feature can be found in the yellow pages that are found in Australia and United Kingdom. This iconic image was first used by the Bell System AT & T in the 1970s. In the United States, the image is not registered with AT & T.
The story of the yellow pages started in 1883 when a local printer in Cheyenne, Wyoming ran out of the regular white paper when printing the telephone directory. In the absence of the regular paper, yellow paper was used instead. It was in 1886 through the efforts of Reuben H. Donnelly that the official yellow pages were introduced in the market. Right now, the term yellow pages are widely used and understood to refer to the directories both online and the published ones. There are different terms used in different countries and regions that will simply refer to the yellow pages. For example in Israel, the Netherlands, Romania and Belgium, these are known as the ‘golden pages. The Japanese calls these as the ‘town page’ and in Sri Lanka, these are known as the ‘rainbow pages’.
The usual arrangement of the SuperPages and WorldPages is that all businesses and companies carried are categorized into geographical locations. Usually, a local phone company from the area will initiate the publishing of the yellow pages. The common practice is that the yellow pages are published on a yearly basis and distributed for free. The publishers can get income in the publishing of the yellow pages through advertising spots.
How Publishers Work With Companies
The businesses will take the initiative to send the updated information to the offices of the publishers. If the business decides to advertise with the publisher, then a special arrangement will be finalized including the payment arrangements. The common approach is to pay for th advertising costs months before the actual publishing of the materials. Right now the trend is to go for online versions of the directories or yellow pages. Consumers are now looking at the web to get information about products and services of the companies. If there’s a need to verify the contact information of the companies, then the web is also used as the main tool.
Future of Yellow Pages
Right now, the trend is going in favor of the online version of the All Pages and yellow pages. According to the Knowledge Network/SRI for 2007, consumers made use of the online versions 3.8 billion times up from the 2006 figures of 3.3 billion references.
Business Phone Numbers and Addresses
- YellowPages.com - Business phone number directory, searchable by city, state, business name, and type of business. Also includes international yellow pages.
- Verizon SuperPages.com - Business phone numbers and address finder for U.S. businesses. Also includes browsing by yellow pages categories.
- LocalPages.com - Local business directory with ratings, reviews, and maps.
- Yelp! - Yelp is a local business guide that returns results based on user recommendations. The directory covers a number of major U.S. cities and includes restaurants, services, and shopping.
- Yellow Book - Nationwide yellow pages search for businesses. Search by business name, type, or key words found in ads.
- DexKnows.com - Offers nationwide online yellow pages, white pages, government listings, driving directions, and maps. Formerly known as Qwestdex.com.
- Yahoo! Yellow Pages - Yahoo! Yellow Pages helps you find business phone numbers and addresses. Search the U.S. and Canada by city, business name, or zip code. Find local auto dealers, banks, hotels, restaurants, florists, department stores, hardware stores, and more.
- Yellow.com Yellow Pages - Search for businesses and business phone numbers by name, category, and location.
- Yahoo! Local - Find local businesses and services and view the results on a map. Refine and sort results by distance, topic, or other factors. Read ratings and reviews.
- Gethuman - Lists phone numbers for businesses and tips for tracking down a real human in the maze of customer support. Database includes credit companies, retailers, computer and internet companies, and more.
- iBegin Local Search - Provides local business listing search in cities in the United States and Canada.
- MSN Yellowpages - Find business phone numbers and addresses throughout the United States with this business directory.
- USA.com - Business phone number directory that includes a yellow pages quick search as well as a browsable directory of businesses, people, and local resources.
- Magic Yellow - Business phone number search and yellow pages directory, including popular categories and keyword search.
- AllPages.com - Find phone numbers, addresses, and business listings. Also features listings sorted by state and yellow pages category.
- YellowBot - Local business directory containing ratings and reviews from throughout the web.
- Yext- Online directories of local businesses helps in finding businesses or deals by category and zip code.
- Tyloon Yellow Pages - Multilingual U.S. business phone number and address directory. Tyloon Yellow Pages can be searched in English, Chinese, or Spanish.
- Yellow Page City - Network of yellow pages throughout the U.S., offer ing earches for business phone numbers by name, category, and region.
- Superior Business Network - Offers online yellow pages and phone number directory for finding businesses locally or nationwide.
- AskCity- View maps and local business listings by name, key word, or location, or save your favorite searches. From Ask.com.
- True Yellow - Find businesses in your area code with this phone number and address finder
- The Yellow Pages – Online business directory with yellow pages, white pages, reverse phone, and public records search.
- YokelLocal and shopping search engine helps you find products or specific stores in your area.
- Yellowise – Local search directory that allows users to rate and review local business, leave comments and suggestions and offer feedback for any local business.
- Names and Numbers – Online business phone directory serving Missouri, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Idaho, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, and New Mexico.
- YellowPagesGoesGreen.org - Allows users to search and browse through a database of businesses located in the United States.
- USDirectory.com - Search for business listings and business phone numbers by name, category, city and state, or ZIP code.
- AOL Yellow Pages - National telephone number and business directory, including maps and directions to specific businesses.
- Yellow Assistance - Online directory of local businesses with user ratings and reviews, residential phone directory, and reverse lookup. Send listing information to your mobile phone from this searchable site.
- Windstream Yellow Pages - Offers nationwide yellow pages to find businesses and people in your local area.
- e Business Directory - Browse U.S. yellow pages by category or by state. List your business for free.
- Directory Plus Colorado & New Mexico Yellow Pages - Yellow pages business directory serving New Mexico and Southwest Colorado.
- Ultimate Yellow Pages - Allows users to search many different online business phone number directories from a single interface.
- Lycos Yellow Pages - Business phone number search by company name, city, or state. Also offers a browsable directory, sorted by business category.
- Village Lookup - Online yellow pages for finding street addresses and phone contact information of local businesses.
- The USA Explorer - Search the yellow pages sorted by state and city.
- ZipperPages.com - Online directory that allows users to search for company and business information by city and state.
- CustomerServiceNumbers.com - Searchable database of companies’ customer service telephone numbers, with tips on how to avoid phone trees and reach a live person.
- QuickYellow.com - Search for business addresses and phone numbers in every state in the U.S. Offers listings from multiple telephone directories.
- United Directories - Provides national business to business yellow pages searchable by by city, state, category, keyword, or business name.
- Smart411.com - Business phone number lookup service that offers listings searchable by region, category, or business name.
- NeighborPages.com - Business phone number lookup and yellow pages directory that includes consumer reviews of local businesses to help users make informed decisions.
- Electronic Yellow Pages - Online yellow pages directory, offering business phone numbers, addresses, web sites, and email. Search by company name, key word, business type, or region.
- ZipHip - Local business directory featuring local yellow page listings and businesses by keyword and location.
- U.S. Guide - Nationwide online yellow pages that allows users to search for local business phone numbers by keyword and/or location.
- Addresses.com - Business phone number and address finder, searchable by company name, region, or type of business.yellowpages.