Business magazines are known to carry news and information related to business and the current economics. There are a number of information and news items that are carried by Barrons, Worth, Black Enterprises and related magazines.
Some magazines will focus more on personal finance, like in Smart Money and there are some publications that will track the performance of economies and countries like the Business Week and Barron’s. The main focus of these types of publications like Forbes and Fortune is on business and related topics.
As long as the topics and the discussions are related to business, then these news stories and write-ups will be published in these magazines. The concept of business journalism is not just limited to these magazines. The coverage of economic data and business is also the domain of radio and television. Right now it is a common thing to see hear in radio and see on cable television about business news reporting.
In fact there are now segments in radio and cable television that are focused on business. But it should be kept in mind that the business coverage will be light in general radio and television shows. If one wants to get in-depth and highly specialized news then specialized business publications like Entrepreneur and Fast Company should be tapped instead of general publications and television shows.
How Business Journalism Started
Though the popularity of this type of journalism has been raging for years, the real use of this type of journalism started in the middle ages. It was only in 1882 with the efforts of Charles Dow, Charles Bergstresser and Edward Jones that attention has shifted to this form of reporting.
Also, this niche developed when The Wall Street Journal was officially published (1882). This is an important publication that has inspired modern publications like Online Investor.
Practitioners and the Scope of Journalism
The practitioners who are involved in the business are called the business journalists. They are the ones who are competent in the collection of news and data and the delivery of business stories. Usually business stories are common in industrialized and growing economies.
Popular Business Magazines
- Barron’s - America’s premier financial magazine. It provides in-depth analysis and commentary on the markets, updated every business day online.
- Black Enterprise - Your #1 Resource for black entrepreneurs, professionals and small businesses.
- Business Week - Your source of business news, market analysis and commentary.
- Entrepreneur - Entrepreneur magazine is the premier source for everything small business.
- Fast Company - Fast Company inspires a new breed of innovative and creative thought leaders who are actively inventing the future of business.
- Forbes - Forbes is a leading source for reliable business news and financial information.
- Online Investor - Your source for insight, research, and data for investors.
- Smart Money - Personal finance and investing analysis, advice and tools from The Wall Street Journal.
- Worth - Publication offers a blend of financial and investing strategies and insight.