Anything that is published and printed using ink on paper is considered as a magazine, a periodical or serials. Magazines like Cosmopolitan and Elle are normally published on a regular basis and contain different topics and focus, depending on the niche of the publications. Some examples of these magazines with different niches include Beauty of the Week and Essence. Magazines and publications like Family Circle and FHM make money from the advertising placements. Publishers will also earn from the sale of the magazines and serials in the stands and through subscriptions. The etymology of the word actually refers to a collection but when used in the publishing world, this will also refer to the compilation of written materials.
There are a number of ways in which the magazines and serials like Fitness, Glamour and GQ can be distributed to the public. The common option is to distribute the magazines and published materials through mail. Some magazines and published materials can also be distributed through sales in newsstands or bookstores including Ladies’ Home Journal, Latina, Mademoiselle, Marie Claire and Maxim. . There are actually three models or arrangements in which the magazines and published materials like Men’s Health and O can be distributed for public consumption. Under magazine distribution, there is a concept of paid circulation. Under this arrangement, the published materials like Date with a Dish will be distributed for a price. The price will be defined by a per issue basis or through a subscription arrangement. There will be times as well when the magazines will be delivered through annual subscriptions. Some examples of these magazines include the Seventeen, Redbook, Sports Illustrated, Shape, Sports Illustrated, Top 20 Albums and Working Woman. There is also the non-paid circulation of the magazines and other published materials. Under this arrangement, the magazines will not carry cover prices. These magazines are normally given for free on the street or provided in-flight. The circulation of magazines can be controlled as well, thus these are referred as insider magazines. These magazines and published materials are only distributed to those readers that have qualified using the standards that are set by the organizations or publishers. Right now this is the model that is used by popular magazines including Waters Magazine, Computing and Computer Weekly.
How Magazines Are Defined
When the word ‘magazines’ is used, this means that every issue will start at page one. This is still the principle behind the magazines of today including Black History and Esquire. Magazines is also used as the term for the collection of publications that are not yet peer and professionally reviewed.
History of Magazines
The first magazine was first published in 1731 in London. This was ‘The Gentleman’s Magazine, a general interest publication edited by Edward Cave. The term ‘magazine’ was based on the word ‘materiel’ a storehouse used in military and ‘makhazin’ which means storehouses in Arabic. This is where the idea of a magazine comes into the picture. But the oldest magazine in print is ‘The Scots Magazine’ (1739) but the run has been weakened due to a number of changes. Another old magazine is the Lloyd’s List which is still distributed up until this time.
Top Ten Most Popular Men’s Magazines
First Published: 1933
Founded during the Great Depression, Esquire is a men’s magazine that has emphasized “the interests, the curiosity, the passions, of men” for 75 years.
First Published: 1953
Founded by Hugh Hefner, Playboy is one of the best known brand names in the world, and its magazine, published worldwide, sells three millions copies monthly in the United States alone.
First Published: 1954
Sports Illustrated has over three million subscribers to its weekly magazine, and each issue is read by over 23 million people. SI is also popular for its pictorials of top models in the annual Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.
Originally known as the “Gentlemen’s Quarterly”, GQ is an upscale monthly magazine focusing on fashion, style, and culture for men through articles ranging from food to fitness, travel to technology.
First Published: 1985
Also known as “For Him Magazine”, FHM is an international men’s entertainment magazine, originating in the United Kingdom, and publishing monthly pictorials and articles on games, movies, music, and models.
First Published: 1987
Men’s Health is the world’s best selling men’s magazine, with 12 million monthly readers of 38 editions worldwide. The publication covers topics ranging from fitness to nutrition, sexuality to lifestyle.
First Published: 1988 Details is a monthly men’s magazine that has been extensively redesigned over the years to reposition itself as an upscale fashion magazine for males interested in fashion, lifestyle, social and political topics.
First Published: 1988
Originally named “Sports Fitness”, Men’s Fitness features articles centering around fitness, nutrition, sports, as well as provides advice on fashion and lifestyle.
First Published: 1995
Originating from the United Kingdom, Maxim is an international magazine for men that offers pictorials of popular models and articles covering various lifestyles to a circulation of 2.5 million readers.
First Published: 2000
The largest lifestyle-oriented online magazine out there for men, the AskMen.com website is free to browse, with international editions catering to visitors in the United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.
Top 10 Women’s Fashion & Beauty Magazines Followed on Twitter
InStyle – @InStyle People Style
The leading fashion, beauty and celebrity lifestyle site
Watch – @StyleWatchMag
Get your fix of the hottest breaking news, celebrity photos, fashion, videos and games
ELLE – @ELLEmagazine
ELLE magazine is your insider guide to fashion’s most fabulous.
Teen Vogue – @TeenVogue
Get the latest beauty, makeover, makeup, tips.
Harper’s Bazaar– @harpersbazaarus
Sophisticated, elegant and provocative, Harper’s Bazaar is the fashion resource for women who are the first to buy the best, from casual to couture.
Seventeen – @seventeenmag
Get the latest fashion, beauty, dating, and health tips. Plus, win freebies, take quizzes, and check your daily horoscope!
VOGUE – @Voguemagazine
Fashion news and features, beauty, collections, culture, and video on Vogue.com.
Lucky – @LuckyMagazine
Lucky Magazine online: shopping, online local shopping guides, expert advice, shopping forum, and more.
Glamour – @glamourdotcom
Your guide to the latest fashion trends, outfit ideas, hair + makeup how-tos, and celebrity scoop is on Glamour.com. Plus, info on this month’s Glamour magazine.
Allure – @Allure_magazine
More Popular Magazines
- Beauty of the Week - Continue the legacy of serving authoritative, credible and entertaining information to the Black community.
- Black History - This site is the largest online encyclopedia and social network dedicated to Black history and culture.
- Cosmopolitan - Targets contemporary women, featuring beauty, fashion, career and sex advice.
- Date with a Dish - Premiere online magazine destination for African-American cultural insight, news and perspective.
- Elle - Watch runway shows from the hottest fashion designers, scope the best dressed celebrities on the red carpet street style.
- Esquire - Esquire: Man at His Best.
- Essence – The Black Women’s Guide to What’s Hot Now.
- Family Circle – Teens, Family, Food Style and more.
- FHM – The men’s entertainment magazine online.
- Fitness – Find all your health & fitness information right here. We have a large selection of exercises, fitness articles , and healthy recipes to choose from.
- Glamour – Your guide to the latest fashion trends, outfit ideas, hair + makeup how-tos, and celebrity scoop is on Glamour.com.
- GQ – The definitive men’s magazine, with style advice and tips, sexy women, entertainment and culture news, interviews, and more.
- Ladies’ Home Journal – Find practical beauty and fashion advice, easy recipes, and sound marriage advice.
- Latina – Latina lifestyle, entertainment, beauty, fashion and news Latino celebrities. Latin music updates and style trends. Mademoiselle – Your guide to the latest fashion trends, outfit ideas, hair + makeup how-tos, and celebrity scoop is on Glamour.com.
- Marie Claire – The publication that women turn to for information on fashion, style, hairstyles, beauty, womens issues, careers, health, and relationships.
- Maxim – It’s what guys want.
- Men’s Health – The men’s guide to fitness, sex, women, workouts, weight loss, health, nutrition and muscle building from the world’s largest men’s magazine.
- O – Heartfelt, honest ways to tell her what’s really on your mind—without sounding like a greeting card.
- Redbook – The Busy Woman’s Guide to Getting Gorgeous
- Seventeen – Get the latest fashion, beauty, dating, and health tips. Plus, win freebies, take quizzes, and check your daily horoscope! Shape – Find the latest on fitness, weight loss, healthy eating, beauty, style and more.
- Sports Illustrated – Sports news, scores, photos, columns and expert analysis from the world of sports
- Top 20 Albums – No. 1 African-American newsweekly and has more than 7 million readers.
- Working Woman – Is the digital hub of career-focused and entrepreneur